The Stone Soup Institute is an international school offering courses of study which integrate traditional and contemporary practices and knowledge in the Agrarian Arts & Sciences, Crafts and Fine Arts.

Stone Soup Institute Website
Stone Soup Tiny House Blog
Stone Soup Flickr Stream


Monday, March 14, 2011

Japan

The news had been reading like a science fiction novel from the 1950's.  This has made me feel as if adjectives have not yet been invented to describe what we are watching unfold, and what the people of Japan are experiencing.
The images of Japan show the rage and strength of this earth. If nothing else could do it, I hope that we have been humbled. The natural order that we live within can not be reversed. We can not outsmart our environment.  We have to understand it, and respect it, and live within the boundary of what is earthly sane.

Processing these events has been hard, and I have been left with only a dull ache, and a sadness that is for all of us.  There are times, when I feel that injustice and violence has been done to our environment, as though it was a passive entity that will be beaten into submission, and all the beautiful wildness of this world that I love will be lost.  I think this is not the case.  Destruction is part of natures identity.  Nuclear disaster is  part of  our races' identity..... but I do not know if this is natural or unnatural, or where to draw these lines.

I listened to a radio broadcast about a man who survived an avalanche. He said that as he rolled down the mountain in what felt like an isolation chamber; the snow pressed in on all sides him, so dense that light could not come through, he felt regret. He had been snowboarding with a group, and the leaders of the group gave two choices; one to keep going up the mountain, and one to go around the other side. Both kept him on the mountain, which was clearly showing signs of avalanche danger.  When he thought it was the end of his life, he realized that he had another choice--- to turn around and go back down. He realized that he had given complete control to these two leaders,  and both were leading the group up a mountain that was threatening to avalanche.  What struck me the most was this sentiment,  which he felt when he thought he would die on the mountain.  "I realized I had no choices left.  I had already made my choices. And they brought me to this."

I don't think we have run out of choices, but we have limited them. I do not think that we will destroy this earth, but I think we have destroyed some of our own happiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment