The Stone Soup Institute is an international school offering courses of study which integrate traditional and contemporary practices and knowledge in the Agrarian Arts & Sciences, Crafts and Fine Arts.

Stone Soup Institute Website
Stone Soup Tiny House Blog
Stone Soup Flickr Stream


Friday, January 7, 2011

Small Treasures

 Getting eggs in the morning is something that I love to do. Sometimes there is one or 2 eggs already by mid-morning,  and the other three or four come in the afternoon.  When I open up the door to the hen yard, its like chicken rush hour- they all want to go out this tiny little door at the same time and there are 16 chickens ( three really big ones). Sometimes 2 or 3 try to go out at the same time and don't fit. Obviously, this is a very funny thing to see every morning and I really love it.
Chickens also love to go into places that seem to be safe. They think the safest place to be is behind the door, however it is not safe at all so I  need to get all the chickens out from behind there when I close the hen house back up. When this happens, they act as if I am a horrible attacker,  and make all kinds of squabbling noises. They are very dramatic about everything. In a chickens mind, there is no such thing as "not a big deal."  Most everything that happens in their day is given very serious attention, and some sort of action is taken. My understanding of the chickens has come a long way. Jim has pointed out that at first I expected to much from the chickens, which is a  valid  point. But as I have watched them, I see that they do their chicken activities with precision, attention, and enthusiasm, and I have really come to respect that about them.
Egg glowing from sunlight coming in through the whole in the wall.

Classic egg organizing device.

No comments:

Post a Comment